The Jamaica National Jamaica 60 Photo Advocacy Competition will equip and train Jamaicans in the art of photography and advocacy. The competition will focus on celebrating Jamaica’s 60th year of independence, under the theme Greatness Through the Lens, an ode to the national theme Re-igniting a Nation for Greatness. The competition will encourage entrants to bring awareness to the unseen ‘helpers/advocates’ whose voluntary service engenders positive change for vulnerable communities and advances the preservation of the environment. The competition will also empower entrants in the area of advocacy; equipping them with the skills to identify, highlight and encourage the work of these unseen ‘helpers/advocates’.
How do I enter?
You must be attending primary or high school in Jamaica
Any Jamaican adult (not attending high school)
Participants must abide by the following rules and guidelines of the competition:
- JN Group will acquire and maintain the copyrights and ownership of photos submitted to it for this competition. Photographer will retain the moral rights to the work.
- Persons wishing to participate in the competition must register and consent to be added to the JN Group mailing list to be eligible.
- Photos submitted must be relevant to the competition and the given themes.
- Photos submitted to the competition must not be shared elsewhere or submitted to other competitions for the duration of the JN Jamaica 60 Photo Competition, nor should they have been prior submissions to other competitions.
- Workshop attendance is mandatory for competition participants. Failure to attend workshops without justification and prior approval will result in expulsion from the competition.
- Participants must adhere to submission deadlines.
- All decisions by the panel of judges for the competition are final.
- JN Foundation and the JN Group will not be responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition and human error.
- The JN Foundation and JN Group will not be responsible for any technical malfunctions with regard to registration of entry to the Competition.
- JN Foundation and JN Group will not be responsible for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries. If for any reason a participant’s entry cannot be viewed, or is not opening as it should, due to an infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or technical failures, or for any other reason, JN Foundation and JN Group shall not assume any responsibility for the corruption of the file.
- The JN Foundation and JN Group reserve the right to disregard or to disqualify, without burden of proof or explanation, any entry for any reason, to include, but not limited to, suspicion or proof of copyright infringement, plagiarism, breaches of intellectual property rights, poor quality, imagery or action calling others into disrepute.
- There is no fee required to enter the competition
- The competition is open to Jamaicans who are citizens by birth or naturalisation
- All images and supporting content submitted are to be owned solely by the entrant
- Where the entrant has not obtained the age of majority, parental consent must be explicitly provided
- Images may be considered in one category only, based on registration – Student or Open
- Entry is explicit acceptance of all terms and conditions of the competition
- All entries must be submitted with an extended caption not exceeding 200 characters inclusive of a title and a description of the issue or subject that was photographed.
Registration closes on October 31, 2022 at 11:59 pm. A shortlist of up to 30 photographers for each category will be selected and announced prior to first workshop date of November 26, 2022
- By registering the entrant agrees to fully indemnify the JN Foundation and by extension the JN Group, in respect of all royalties, fees, damages and any other monies owing to any person by reason of breach of any of the foregoing
- The entrant confirms that each person depicted in the entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown
- If the JN Foundation has not received any communication from the entrant by the date specified in the email correspondence confirming that they have been shortlisted, and the Foundation- is unable to ratify the entry, the entrant will be disqualified and replaced with another entrant
- The entrant understands that any image submitted to the competition may be used by the JN Foundation, JN Group and its partners for marketing and promotional purposes of the entrant and the competition including, but not limited to:
- Displaying of entries at public exhibitions promoting JN Group products and services and at events organised or endorsed by the JN Foundation and or JN Group
- Inclusion on the JN Foundation website, awards booklet, magazine or similar publications
- Publications promoting the competition and / or any exhibition organised by the JN Foundation and JN Group
- Issuing of the photograph to the press for publication to highlight the competition and any activity associated with it.
The Foundation and the JN Group will credit the entrant where the photograph is used.